Colossians 3:3

For you are dead, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.



Saturday, March 17, 2012

Taking the Risk to Bloom


"and the day came when the risk that it took to remain tight in the bud,    was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"


Recently a friend reminded me of that saying.  It took me back three years. 
I can tell you the date, and the place where I realized that that was what was happening to me. 
And now I think, why did it seem so frightening to bloom?
To push free of the shell that was holding me back. 
To breathe.
To realize that there was no turning back.
Not even wanting to.
And to thank God in Heaven for drawing me with bands of love...


And I thought of that today as I stood underneath my apricot tree.
Shooting pictures as the bees swarmed about me.  And I thought,

"What would happen if a whole lot of us daughters would realize that
it's more painful to remain tightly closed than to open our hearts."

Would it not be a beautiful sight?  A lovely aroma?
Just like my apricot tree.





And I thought of the bees, as they 'pricked' each fragrant blossom.
Just like the Spirit of God at work in my heart.
I remember my excitement when I found the bees on my tree.
Knowing they were 'making' fruit for me.
So, in my life, fruit will follow the Spirit's conviction.
If I listen with my heart. And adhere.



 


So why are we tempted to remain as we've been 'all winter'?
Dead.  Barren. Without fragrance.
When we could be fragrant, beautiful, alive, and useful.

"Oh God, shed Your Light on the lie that Satan would have me believe,
that it's way too scary to open my heart."



"Lord Jesus, I ask You to unfold the petals of my heart today,
that others could see Your beauty instead of me.
That I might truly live."