When I reflect on two years ago today...
It was the day that the Esh family walked through their doors for the last time.
It was the last time that Josiah and Johnny,
the two small boys that survived,
were held by their parents.
It was the end for oh, so many relationships.
It was the ushering in of eternity. For so many, all at once.
And then I think, I am not promised one more moment.
I am not promised one more loving touch from my husband.
I am not promised to hold my baby one more time.
I am not promised five boisterous children to clean up after one more time.
I am not promised one more.
So why, WHY do I so quickly forget the fraility of life?
Why do I not remember the brevity of life?
Why does my life get crammed with the demands of life,
the laundry, the books, the meals, and all else that lands on my plate?
And in that busyness, I forget that tomorrow my plate could be empty.
That brings the realization that this is a gift.
This busyness that I call "Mommyhood".
I am blessed with a husband and five children today.
I don't have the promise of either or any of them tomorrow. But,
This is gift from the Father. He has given me today.
This cooking and cleaning. This teaching and playing. This is privilege.
This is what He has called me to.
This is service to my King!
Let me Rejoice and be glad in it.
Hold tight to the sound of the music of living,
Happy songs from the laughter of children at play;
Hold my hand as we run through the sweet fragrant meadows,
Making mem'ries of what was today.
Chorus: We have this moment to hold in our hands
and to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand;
Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today.
Tiny voice that I hear is my little girl calling,
For Daddy to hear just what she has to say;
And my little boy running there by the hillside,
May never be quite like today.
And someone who loves me and wants me to stay;
Hold them near while they're here and don't wait for tomorrow,
To look back and wish for today.
Take the blue of the sky and the green of the forest,
Take the blue of the sky and the green of the forest,
And the gold and the brown of the freshly mown hay;
Add the pale shades of spring and the circus of autumn,
And weave you a lovely today.
Lord, please help us to treasure this moment, harried though it may feel,
realizing it is gift from You. Realizing there may come a time when we look back and wish for today.



