Colossians 3:3

For you are dead, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.



Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Idols, For Real?

You know when I was little, I remember being flabbergasted
that people in the Bible actually erected idols...
And then worshiped them...Actually worshiped them.
Actually thought that the stone or wood could do something for them.
My thought was, if they couldn't even breathe themselves,
How in the world would they be able to do anything for anyone else?

I remembered this recently when my little girl with wide eyes said,
"you mean they actually believe in these idols?"
We were looking at pictures of erected idols from various religions.
And I remembered.  Remembered the disbelief.

But, little did I know that while I was shaking my head as a child,
I was erecting my own idols in my very own heart.

I remember hearing through my life that while we don't make idols of wood and stone today,
and bow down and worship them.
We can have idols in the form of things that come between us and God.
Interesting thought.
Or things that we think or value too highly.
Cars (never me ) houses ( ahh, don't think so ) clothes (surely not!)
And so I thought I had the idolatry thing figured out.

Sadly, I recently realized there is a whole lot more to idolatry than I ever knew.
Sadly that I realized it?  No.
Sadly, that there was/is idolatry in my very own heart.

It's something I am asking Jesus to show me.
Areas of idolatry.
He has shown me areas of idolizing people.
Their opinion of me, their walk with Christ (how shameful),
Their convictions.  And others.

And one day, as I just had my "prop" knocked out from me.
By being 'disappointed' with one of my 'idols'.
And my joy was....well, I don't know where it was--gone!
I cried out to God and He showed me that this was idolatry.
I'm like, excuse me?  But I realized He was right (o wow)
I was more concerned about what this 'idol' had to say about me than God.
Truly I was, because I knew what God thought about this particular incident!
Knew my heart was clean, pure and for God.  Knew that God had met me.
Knew that it was God.  What did it matter what my 'idol' thought?

Truly, what I was saying by allowing my 'prop' to have fallen out was this.
"God, this person's opinion of me is more important than Yours."
or in other words,
This person was definitely coming between me and God.
And I realized that as a 'people-pleasing' person, I had many such 'episodes'.

I got on my knees and confessed my idolatry.
And almost instantly, my peace and joy returned.
And no wonder.  How great a sin idolatry is.
It will always bring misery!

Now I don't know that anyone wants to be idolized.
I know that I don't.  In fact when I feel that someone has me on a pedestal,
It causes me extreme frustration. Why?
Because I know I'm not worthy.  I am only human and will and do sin.
and it's only a matter of time till what they thought/think of me is dashed.
It is pressure.  Unneeded pressure.  Sinful pressure.
And so I am learning that the best way not to allow people to do that
is to be very honest about the things that I struggle with...
So they know that I do not have it altogether!!
So they know I have no right to the pedestal.

So I challenge you to tear down those idols.
And while you're in the painful process, know that I am doing the same even while I 'speak'.
So can we work at it together?

Jesus bless you today....