Ephesians 5:1
Be imitators of God, as dear children.
As I read this verse this morning, I had to think of my youngest daughter. I call her my baby, though she just had her 2nd birthday less than a week ago. But, she is the closest thing I have to a baby right now, so she is my baby...Anyway, skip the bunny trail or at least hop off of it :)
She is quite the mimicker. Everything you say or do, she tries to copy... So cute!! (bunny trail)
Anyway, several months ago we were at a social gathering. I was standing with a group of ladies and I witnessed Natalie walking over to her daddy, and what happened next was unbelievable.
This appeared to be very deliberate for her, like in steps.
She leaned her shoulder and hip up against the pillar close to him.
She crossed her arms in front of her. Then she crossed her ankles.
Then she just stood there looking up at him.
It was SOO cute. We ladies that had seen it just laughed.
It was so step by step. So deliberate.
So was does this have to do with imitating?
Well, then I looked at myself, and guess what I found?
She had copied me identically. Identically. (I was leaning against a door rather than a pillar.)
So to me, this verse means that this is how I am to imitate my Father.
Step by step.
Deliberate.
What does this look like?
Some days I don't know.
And some days I know and still don't do a very good job at it.
But every day that I ask Him to show me His heart,
He is faithful in doing that in.
"Lord God, can you teach my heart to love like You do? How do You love?"
"Can You teach my heart to care for people like You care/cared for people?"
"Can You teach my heart to focus on others, like You did while You walked here?"
"Jesus, I want to imitate You today, can You show me what that looks like?"
I don't know what your questions might look like....these are mine....
These are my weak spots....but you know what?
"His strength is made perfect in my weakness" 2 Cor.12:9
He will have the opportunity to show His strength.
Praise His Holy Name for caring that much about fallen humanity.
About me.
I stand, I stand in awe of You.
Holy God, to whom ALL praise is due.
I stand in awe of You.