For we wrestle not against
flesh and blood,
but against principalities, against powers,
against
the rulers of the darkness of this world,
against spiritual wickedness
in high places.
Ephesians 6:12
This is a compilation of my thoughts over the past week plus..
I feel like no authority to speak on this subject..
I only want to share some of my gleanings..
I wanted to 'put on paper' some of this Truth,
so that when the 'enemy comes in like a flood',
I can have somewhere to go to speak some Truth into the situation.
So, I decided to blog it.
And pray that you will find it helpful as well....
Truth is,
When we experience freedom or when we testify to that freedom,
satan will try harder than ever to gain ground that he's lost.
I need to be prepared for this..
To be prepared, I need to be aware of certain things.
Truth is, he is crafty..
"Now the serpent was more subtile
than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made". Gen.3:1
Truth is, he is out for our destruction..
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
But I am come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly."Jn10:10
Truth is sometimes he comes stealthily..
"No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light."2Cor.11:14
And other times more noticeably..
"Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion,
seeking someone to devour."1Pt5:8
And, truth is, sometimes he comes in like a flood.
"when the enemy shall come in like a flood,
The Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him." Is.59:19
So we know that he is 'out to get us'.
But God has given us what it takes to be combatant in this war..
The first thing I studied was the Christian's Armor.
Ephesians 6:10-18
A promise in vs. 11.
"Put on the whole armor of God,
that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil".
So what is the armor?
vs 14, Loins girt about with truth,
a girdle of truth. Close. snug. protective.
First thing I think of is that I need to know Truth,
need to have it in front of my eyes,
verses printed out, that I can throw at back at him,
when he comes in with half truths, and outright lies.
Because, I need to confess, the times when he 'comes in like a flood',
it is very difficult to pull those out of my mind.(esp. if they are not memorized well)
So, to have them at my fingertips, in my pocket, (or cape, wink)
to pull out and fight with.
vs 14, Breastplate of righteousness.
To me that means a laying down of any carnal desires,
and having only a deep seated desire for holiness.
When in my heart of hearts, I know that my heart is for the things that God desires,
having crucified all other desires (fleshy, worldly)
I think often in my life,
this has been a chink hole where satan had access to my heart.
vs. 15 Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.
I like the thought that we are 'standing' on the promises of God's word,which equips us for battle. A firm footing on God's Word.
But peace, what does that have to do with it?
First of all, I believe it may mean the peace that comes
from a heart that is grounded in truth and righteousness.
Because there is great peace that accompanies that.
But also, I wonder if it doesn't have the idea
of being a peacemaker.
Being someone who pursues peace-living.
It's usually not the easiest thing to do,
But, remember, this is a battle, right?
vs. 16 shield of faith.
the verse says above all,
which gives me the idea that this is one of the more important things,
or possibly powerful weapons.
Says, with faith we will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
what is faith?
hmmm. faith is believing what we can't see..
or may I say, can't feel..
We are ladies, and we don't always feel like satan is being defeated.
We don't always feel like we have been given authority over all the power of the enemy.
Right?
So quite likely, faith is reaching out beyond our feelings to the facts,
to the Truth.
Faith also is knowing/remembering what God has done for me in past battles,
and I like to call that my wall of faith.
Where I've hung portraits of God's faithfulness thru my journey.
And to be able to walk thru that gallery, remembering....
And with faith, we are promised we can stop the arrows in their tracks.
Praise God!
vs 17 helmet of salvation
I think of this as protecting my mind with the assurance that I am saved.
Knowing that my sins have been washed in the blood of the Lamb.
Knowing that I am forgiven.
Knowing that my name is clear before my Father.
Knowing that I know that I know.
Not being assured that I've been saved is opening up to the attack of the enemy.
But, claiming 1John1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins,
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
A practical note, I have a prayer written on a card...starts out like this....
"I am a child of God, and I want all my thoughts, desires, and actions to please God.
I renounce the enemy's desire to have me focus my thoughts and desires on _______.
As soon as I am tempted, I pull that out and I want to tell you,
there is so much power just in saying the words, "I am a child of God".
I am identifying with Christ.. Try it and see for yourself.
vs 17 the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.
Speaks of combating with the truth of God's word.
Have it there, ready to throw back at the lies he throws me.
and finally.
vs 18 Praying always.
Now this is going to be a 'breathing' type praying.
I'm not going to always be on my knees,
and I'm not going to be having the 'traditional' intro and endings.
But, as I go thru my day,
Just be so in tune with Jesus,
praising, and thanking, imploring, and blessing His name.
So, that is the armor and He has promised us victory.
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1Cor15:57
I know this is long, but for those of you who would like,
I am also posting some precious verses that I found that make good combat verses.
John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
(Note: I personalized that vs to say steal my peace, kill my joy, destroy our home)
Luke 10:19 "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions,
and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.
Rom.8:37 In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Isaiah 59:19 when the enemy shall come in like a flood,
The Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh,
we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal,
but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Casting down
imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself
against the
knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity
every thought to the
obedience of Christ;
2 Timothy 4:18 The Lord will deliver me from every evil attack
and will bring
me safely into his heavenly Kingdom.
All glory to God forever and ever!
Amen.
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper...
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me,
says the Lord.
James 4:7&8 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.
Ps 34:4-8 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
Duet.3:22 Do not fear them, for the Lord you God is the one fighting for you.
Rom.8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?
Rom. 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
I want to testify to the fact that satan is an accuser of the brethren,
and will sometimes come, just condemning me, making me 'feel'
overwhelmed and that I have sinned. And this has happened very often
in the last 10 days. And as I scan back over the previous moments or hours
and try to see if I have sinned, and realize that even tho' he has tempted me
significantly, I have been victorious. Then I wonder what I am feeling....
Condemnation. If he can't get me to fall prey, he will try to make me feel like
I've already fallen. Steals my peace, that's what. Discourage me, that's what.
So beware of that! Claim Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
So I challenge us to be aware of the spiritual warfare in our lives,
cultivate a deeper relationship with the Father,
and Fight the good fight of faith....
Jesus bless you today...